Re: Creating table as datatype

From: "Joris Dobbelsteen" <Joris(at)familiedobbelsteen(dot)nl>
To: "rasoolbv" <rasoolbv(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)sg>
Cc: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Creating table as datatype
Date: 2008-02-14 12:57:43
Lists: pgadmin-support

Look for documents about the Relation model and normalization.
For example: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_normalization>
Others might have very good links, search the archives and the archives
of the postgresql-general mailing list.

Inheritance is a quite hard subject in the relational model and opinions
on whether and how to use here may vary quite a lot. Personally I think
it can give quite a few problems and you should use it very sparingly.
Use other means to archieve the same result.

>Currently I am able to create a column as of datatype. That
>is, for a staff I can have a multivalued column of datatype
>internalAddress. I want to create a table of a datatype. That
>is for instance, a table of datatype staff and this is later
>to be part of a company. I don't seem to find this option
>available. Hope to get some help in this.

Your paradigms are closely related to Object-Oriented programming. The
relational model is slightly different.
You need to see your database types more as tables or relations (note:
table and relation have the same meaning, the naming might be confusing,
but it has it roots in mathematics (logic and set theory) and the other
more in computer science).

- Joris