Re: Re: pg v. 8.4.5 misses objects and data after restoring from backup using wal

From: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Imre Oolberg <imre(at)auul(dot)pri(dot)ee>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: pg v. 8.4.5 misses objects and data after restoring from backup using wal
Date: 2011-01-03 18:49:37
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Jan 3, 2011, at 11:42 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> That's either incorrect or poorly worded.

Let's go with poorly worded then. (Actually I don't do this, I use streaming replication, where I don't have to copy the WAL files because the standby picks up the ones that are needed.)

Unless I misread his earlier post, he is starting the backup, copying files, stopping the backup, and expecting those transactions (between start & stop) to be applied, even though files changed during that time (including WAL files) have not all been copied. Again, unless I misread his earlier post, he is *not* copying WAL that was generated between start & stop.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com