Re: Re: pg v. 8.4.5 misses objects and data after restoring from backup using wal

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com>
Cc: Imre Oolberg <imre(at)auul(dot)pri(dot)ee>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: pg v. 8.4.5 misses objects and data after restoring from backup using wal
Date: 2011-01-03 18:56:48
Lists: pgsql-admin

Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com> writes:
> Unless I misread his earlier post, he is starting the backup, copying files, stopping the backup, and expecting those transactions (between start & stop) to be applied, even though files changed during that time (including WAL files) have not all been copied. Again, unless I misread his earlier post, he is *not* copying WAL that was generated between start & stop.

If that's the case, it just plain won't work. You can either shut down
the postmaster and copy a static set of files, or you can apply WAL to a
base backup that was taken from a live database. There is no way to get
consistent results from a backup of a live database without applying all
the WAL that was generated while the backup was being taken.