Re: PG vs MySQL

From: Andrew Rawnsley <ronz(at)ravensfield(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Alex <alex(at)meerkatsoft(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Frank Finner <postgresql(at)finner(dot)de>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Mike Nolan <nolan(at)gw(dot)tssi(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PG vs MySQL
Date: 2004-03-30 04:08:25
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mar 29, 2004, at 7:44 PM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Mike Nolan wrote:
>
>>> Now, that doesn't preclude clients from seeing the names of another
>>> clients database using \l, but unless there is gross mis-management
>>> of the
>>> pg_hba.conf, seeing the names of other databases doesn't give other
>>> clients any benefits ...
>>
>> That rather depends upon what those clients are doing, doesn't it?
>
> I don't know, does it? I can't think of any circumstance that this
> would
> give a client any advantage ... can you?

Depends what you name the databases, honestly. Never underestimate the
power of the belief in
confidentiality (paranoia to the rest of us) inherent in certain
industries - actual advantage
gained means nothing compared to the perception thereof. I do much work
in the financial and
environmental industries - you can't spit without offending a lawyer
(particularly in the environmental
space. The lawyers are the only ones who make any money...).

Andrew Rawnsley
President
The Ravensfield Digital Resource Group, Ltd.
(740) 587-0114
www.ravensfield.com