Re: TAP output format in pg_regress

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Nikolay Shaplov <dhyan(at)nataraj(dot)su>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: TAP output format in pg_regress
Date: 2022-11-28 13:13:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 27 Nov 2022, at 11:22, Nikolay Shaplov <dhyan(at)nataraj(dot)su> wrote:
> В письме от суббота, 26 ноября 2022 г. 23:35:45 MSK пользователь Daniel
> Gustafsson написал:

> I wold suggest to use word immediate instead of noatexit. This will do the
> code much more sensible for me.

I think noatexit is clearer since the codepath is specifically to avoid any
registered atexit functions. The point of this function is to be able to call
bail while in a function registered with atexit() so I think the current name
is better.

> I've also rewritten the comment, the way I would understand it better, if I
> read it for the first time. I am not sure about my English, but key features
> there are:
>
> - "terminate process" instead of "exit". Too many exist in the sentence,
> better to use synonyms wherever is possible.

Sure, I can do that before pushing if the current version of the patch is
acceptable.

>> That would if so make the output something like the below. Personally I
>> think the "test" prefix adds little value since everything printed are test
>> suites, and we are already today using indentation for grouping parallel
>> tests.
>
> So this extra offset indicates that test is being included into parallel
> group? Guess it not really obvious...

Grouping parallel tests via an initial list of test and then indenting each
test with whitespace was committed 22 years ago. While there might be better
ways to do this, the lack of complaints so far at least seems to indicate that
it isn't all too terrible.

> Theoretically TAP 14 has subtests and this parallel tests looks like
> subtests... but TAP 14 is not supported by modern harnesses..

Parallel tests aren't subtests though, they are single top-level tests which
run in parallel to each other.

--
Daniel Gustafsson https://vmware.com/