Re: Select with qualified join condition / Batch inserts

From: "Michael Nonemacher" <Michael_Nonemacher(at)messageone(dot)com>
To: "Bernd" <bernd_pg(at)genedata(dot)com>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Select with qualified join condition / Batch inserts
Date: 2004-10-15 14:17:06
Lists: pgsql-performance

> 2/ Batch-inserts using jdbc (maybe this should go to the jdbc-mailing
list -
> but it is also performance related ...):
> Performing many inserts using a PreparedStatement and batch execution
makes a
> significant performance improvement in Oracle. In postgres, I did not
observe
> any performance improvement using batch execution. Are there any
special
> caveats when using batch execution with postgres?

When you call executeBatch(), it doesn't send all the queries in a
single round-trip; it just iterates through the batched queries and
executes them one by one. In my own applications, I've done
simulated-batch queries like this:

insert into T (a, b, c)
select 1,2,3 union all
select 2,3,4 union all
select 3,4,5

It's ugly, and you have to structure your code in such a way that the
query can't get too large, but it provides a similar performance benefit
to batching. You probably don't save nearly as much parse time as using
a batched PreparedStatement, but you at least get rid of the network
roundtrips.

(Of course, it'd be much nicer if statement-batching worked. There have
been rumblings about doing this, and some discussion on how to do it,
but I haven't heard about any progress. Anyone?)

mike