RE: [PORTS] WindowsNT, Java

From: Horák Daniel <horak(at)sit(dot)plzen-city(dot)cz>
To: "'Erwin Selg'" <eselg(at)softbridge(dot)de>, pgsql-ports(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: RE: [PORTS] WindowsNT, Java
Date: 2000-03-01 15:19:43
Lists: pgsql-ports

right now I'm evaluating the PostgreSQL and it seems to be the big bang for
us.
But also it is quite important to have a good performance on several
platforms
i.e. WindowsNT , Linux etc.

My question now is: Is there a difference in performance? I read on Windows
it is running
using CygWin, are there any experiences of disadvantages because of that?

The performance on WinNT is lower than e.g. on Linux and this is due the
Cygwin layer because it has to translate unix calls into win32 calls. And
that is not an easy task ;-)

Also I read it was a Java database, so my question: Is it a Java database or
is it done
in C++?

PostgreSQL is written in C. But you can use the client side from C, C++,
Tcl, Java and maybe other languages.

Are there any restrictions of the features or performance on any platform?

The WinNT version of PostgreSQL has the same features as other ports.

Dan