RE: join if there, blank if not

From: Henry Lafleur <HLafleur(at)phoenixforge(dot)com>
To: Jacques Williams <jacques(at)jacqro(dot)COM>, Gary Stainburn <gary(dot)stainburn(at)ringways(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: join if there, blank if not
Date: 2000-07-12 18:51:24
Lists: pgsql-sql

Jacques,

The problem with using the union in this way is that you get NULLs for a
number weather or not it has an associated record in calls.

To do a pure outer join, it would be something like this:

select c.cdate, c.ctime, c.cextn, c.cnumber, n.ndesc
from calls c, numbers n
where c.cnumber=n.nnumber
union all
select null as cdate, null as cextn, null as cnumber, nnumber, ndesc
from numbers
WHERE nnumber NOT IN (SELECT nnumber FROM calls);

---

What I have always had trouble with, though, is if you have multiple fields
for a primary key. For example, if a customer master table also had ship-to
locations as the key and you wanted to get all customers and any orders for
that customer, in rough ANSI SQL it would be:

SELECT c.cust_number, c.ship_to, o.item
FROM cust c LEFT OUTER JOIN orders o ON c.cust_number = o.cust_number AND
c.ship_to = o.ship_to

then, in the union, it is not clear how to do it:

SELECT c.cust_number, c.ship_to, o.item
FROM cust c, orders o
WHERE c.cust_number = o.cust_number AND c.ship_to = o.ship_to
UNION
SELECT cust_number, ship_to, NULL AS item
FROM cust
WHERE ???

which I never know what to do at ??? -
WHERE c.cust_number NOT IN (SELECT cust_number FROM orders)
is one choice, but this doesn't help if the ship to doesn't match. We can
get wild and try -
WHERE c.cust_number NOT IN (SELECT cust_number FROM orders WHERE
ship_to = cust.ship_to)
but if you go to two and three keys, what happens then? It seems like it
should work if we continue. But how efficiently does this work?

Has anyone examined this problem?

Thanks,

Henry