Locking timeouts

From: "Robinson, Chad" <crobinson(at)rfgonline(dot)com>
To: "'pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Locking timeouts
Date: 2001-09-26 16:38:41
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hello all,

Sorry for what may be a "newbie" question, but I haven't used PostgreSQL
since the ODBC driver was called PostODBC, not pgsqlodbc, and I can't find
this answer in the list archives.

I have locking working in an ODBC application, written in VB using
Connection/Recordset objects, "select ... for update", BeginTrans, and
Update/CommitTrans to save the data). This correctly blocks other users from
editing (but not reading) the record being edited. That's what I want.

However, other users attempting to edit the record are blocked until the
record is released. Normally, a database will release the user with an error
noting that they were blocked by a record lock. PostgreSQL is not doing
this.

Can it be made to do so? This is a data entry application, so blocking other
users until the record is released by the editor is not acceptable.

Thanks!
Chad