Re: Need help understanding pg_locks

From: Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Need help understanding pg_locks
Date: 2011-07-11 08:15:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Jul11, 2011, at 05:47 , Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Thank you. I think my confusion is that virtualtransaction is the lock
> holder/waiter, and the other two are actual locks. The attached doc
> patch clarifies that. I had actually realized this a few weeks ago and
> forgot, meaning this is pretty confusing.

For consistency, I guess it should say "lock object" instead of simply
"object" the description of all the columns up to (and including)
"objsubid", not only those of "virtualxid" and "transactionid".

I'd also slightly prefer "locked object" over "lock object", because
the lock itself probably isn't a standalone entity in the mind of
most users. And for people familiar with our locking infrastructure,
the actually correct term would be "lock tag" I believe.

In any case, +1 for improving the description there.

best regards,
Florian Pflug