Re: weird duplicate data problem

From: "Henshall, Stuart - WCP" <SHenshall(at)westcountrypublications(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'Carolyn Lu Wong'" <carolyn(at)greatpacific(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: weird duplicate data problem
Date: 2001-12-17 15:20:52
Lists: pgsql-sql

-----Original Message-----
From: Carolyn Lu Wong [mailto:carolyn(at)greatpacific(dot)com(dot)au]
Sent: 14 December 2001 07:29
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: weird duplicate data problem

a table was created with:

create table bills (
id serial not null,
account_no int4 not null,
date_issued date not null,
);

The following SQL script returns only 1 row of data:

select oid, * from bills where id = xxxxx' order by oid;

--
Seems reasonable
--

However with the following SQL:

select oid, * from bills where date_issued = '01/01/2001'
order by oid;

some of the data is duplicated, including the OID.

--
OIDs are not guaranteed unique and can wraparound (unlesss there's a unique
index). However this seems a little unlikely in the same day so the only

When trying to 'vaccum' the database, get

NOTICE: Index bills_id_key: number of index tupples (4755) is not the
same as heap (7800).

What is happening? What could have caused this?

Database version used is V6.50. I know it's old, but i hope it's not the
version that's causing this problem.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.