RE: Very urgent

From: "Henshall, Stuart - WCP" <SHenshall(at)westcountrypublications(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'Gautam Sinha'" <gsinha(at)npi(dot)stpn(dot)soft(dot)net>, pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: Very urgent
Date: 2001-06-13 09:32:33
Lists: pgsql-ports

Hello,
If you have installed the latest version of cygwin you should
already have a pre-compiled version of postgresql. Try going into the bash
shell (I tend then to run rxvt & to give me an xterm like cli).
Then at the command line try:
ipc-daemon &
initdb <datadir>
postmaster -i -D <datadir> &
Make sure your path is correctly set up first to be able to see them
(/usr/bin I *think*).
This should then start the postmaster. If you have problems with the
ipc-daemon & then you either don't have it installed, in your path or its
running already (possible as a service).
You can't (as far as I'm aware) build postgresql using native
windows tools, instead use cygwin.
Do something like:
tar -xzvf postgresql-7.1.tar.gz
cd postgresql-7.1