BUG #6353: If there is invalid line in pg_hba.conf, DB start fails without any nofice and no logs in pgstartup.

From: erkan(at)eurotel(dot)com(dot)tr
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #6353: If there is invalid line in pg_hba.conf, DB start fails without any nofice and no logs in pgstartup.
Date: 2011-12-22 15:53:08
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 6353
Logged by: Erkan Durmus
Email address: erkan(at)eurotel(dot)com(dot)tr
PostgreSQL version: 9.0.6
Operating system: Centos 5.7

Hi,
Firstly, thanks for developing Pgsql!
Problem:
If I add this line to pg_hba.conf, it causes a silent startup failure:
local all backup 127.0.0.1/32 trust
There is a linux user backup on this system. After adding this line and
issue "pg_ctl reload" it signals server successfully, no errors. But if I
stop db server, I can not start db anymore. Strangely no log exists in
pgstartup.log. Even I start with -d 5 debug param, it exists after "logging
shutdown" message. Debugging with gdb didn't help. After removing the line
added above in pg_hba.conf, db starts.

Regards,
Erkan Durmus