Re: Re: Monitoring new records

From: messias <messias(at)fw(dot)hu>
To: Andrej Ricnik-Bay <andrej(dot)groups(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Monitoring new records
Date: 2008-02-29 12:16:00
Lists: pgsql-novice

--- Andrej Ricnik-Bay <andrej(dot)groups(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote (2008.02.29
00:38:30): ---

> On 29/02/2008, messias <messias(at)fw(dot)hu> wrote:

> > be filled by a trigger. The client would read from that queue
table,

> > and delete the readed data.

> > I think this solution can work with only one client.

> I guess it depends on how you define "client"

My clients would be a C++ application, and they have to monitor an

event table. The events are comming from for example a fire alarm

system.

> .... also: what is the

> background of several "clients" monitoring, what are you looking

> for,

I want to show the new events (records) so I am instrested in only
inserting.

what happens if you delete the new records e.g. based on

> time rather than "having been viewed"?

I am not sure that I understand your question. When the new records
were deleted from the table I would do nothing.

If I had only one client, I would make 2 table for the events. One
would store the events and an other would be the queue (log). The
data collectors would insert their data into the first (event) table,
and a trigger or a rule forward they into the queue and send a
notification. If my client got a notification, it would read the new
datas, and than delete them.

But as I mentioned I would have more than one client at the same
time, so I do not know when and who can delete the data from the
queue table.

> Cheers,

> Andrej

Thanks Ferenc