Re: INSERT INTO

From: "Josh Williams" <drykath(at)runbox(dot)com>
To: shavonne(dot)marietta(at)studioform(dot)it
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: INSERT INTO
Date: 2007-03-17 01:19:53
Lists: pgsql-sql

From: "Shavonne Marietta Wijesinghe" <shavonne(dot)marietta(at)studioform(dot)it>
> I have 2 tables. TABLE1 and TABLE2.
>
> TABLE1 has about 400 records with details (client code, name, surname,
> address, date of birth) of my clients.
> TABLE2 is filled with some of the client details and other extra details
> (client code, address, telephone, etc)
>
> So in my ASP page i have a select that gets the client details from TABLE1
> using the client code and inserts them in to TABLE2
>
> When i have a string that has a ' inside of it the record is not inserted in
> to TABLE2. I know that writing it twice will fix it but how can i ask my ASP
> code to do it..

I'm sadly tasked with maintaining a little ASP code from time to time. If you need to do it through a script, what you're looking for is the Replace function, as already mentioned in the thread:

Replace( InputString, "'", "''" )

However since we're already on pgsql-sql, assuming you're not doing a whole lot more than pulling from one table and inserting into another, you may want to consider seeing if you can roll it into a single SQL statement:

> INSERT INTO TABLE2 (TE_INDI) VALUES ('SANT'ANGELO LODIGIANO');

INSERT INTO TABLE2 (TE_INDI) VALUES SELECT TE_INDI FROM TABLE1 WHERE (...)

No quoting or server->client->server worries to deal with at all...

Best of luck,
- Josh Williams