How to deal with almost recurring data?

From: matthias(at)cmklein(dot)de
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to deal with almost recurring data?
Date: 2004-11-16 14:53:17
Lists: pgsql-general

I am creating a database which is supposed to contain many data entries
(events) that differ only in the date they occur.

So let's say event 1 occurs every Monday, Tuesday and Sunday between
January 1st and May 30th 2005.

How do I store and manage such data in a meaningful way?

The simple idea would be to store the event itself in one table and have
another table containing all the dates (all Mondays, Tuesdays and Sundays
between 2005-01-01 and 2005-05-30) plus a foreign key to event_ID =>
(date, event_id).

The problem is that we are dealing with several tenthousand events,
resulting in several million single dates if I stored it in the described
manner.

That is why I would like to know if there is a better way to store and
manage such information?

Thanks

Matt