Re: No exception with concurrent updates

From: Vladimir Stankovic <V(dot)Stankovic(at)city(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com
Cc: "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: No exception with concurrent updates
Date: 2004-07-14 21:36:46
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Dave,

On Jul 14 2004, Dave Cramer wrote:

> Vladimir,
>
> This simply won't work, you will need to either synchronize transaction,
> or use some other locking mechanism. As I said, postgres supports
> concurrent transactions, they will both succeed simultaneously.

I thought that this is taken care of when you set TRANSACTION_SERIALIZABLE on
the Connection object.

> Your options are select the row for update, which will lock it from
> other transactions updating it.
>
> synchronize transaction so that only one gets in there at a time.
>
> use pessimistic locking which involves a timestamp and you have to check
> to make sure that the row has not changed before you update it, although
> without synchronization this won't work either.
>
> Dave

This programme was a part of the comparison between PostgreSQL and InterBase
(known now under name Firebird for open source developement) regarding their
concurrent updates handling, which as I know doesn't use 2 Phase Commit either.
The term for MVCC in IB is multi-generational database architecture. By the way
there exist the NO WAIT parameter in IB, which can be specified when starting a
transaction and does not require a transaction to wait until the end of
concurrent transaction. Using this mode the first version of my programme
(without threads) did not halt - I received the exception and the second
transaction's update did not commit.

Thanks for the prompt responses,

Vladimir

Vladimir Stankovic Tel: +44 20 7040 0273
Research Student Fax: +44 20 7040 8585
Centre for Software Reliability Email: V(dot)Stankovic(at)city(dot)ac(dot)uk
City University
Northampton Square, London EC1V 0HB