high availability (was Upgrade to Red Hat Linux 9 broke PostgreSQL)

From: Richard Welty <rwelty(at)averillpark(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: high availability (was Upgrade to Red Hat Linux 9 broke PostgreSQL)
Date: 2003-04-15 22:43:48
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 15:21:36 -0700 Dennis Gearon <gearond(at)cvc(dot)net> wrote:

> How much different *IS* one distro from another?

the installation, boot time initializations, and packaging systems can be
pretty different, as can the degree of support you get after the fact.

i'm pondering a startup right now which will have some rather stringent
requirements for high availability, and one of the issues that's on my mind
is how to upgrade a high availability postgresql server farm. does anyone
have any thoughts/experience on this?

how are folks implementing high availability setups with postgresql? my db
guy is an old line informix type, and while he likes postgresql a lot, he's
very uncertain how to tackle the high availability issues with the pieces
currently on the table.

richard
--
Richard Welty rwelty(at)averillpark(dot)net
Averill Park Networking 518-573-7592