Re: Shema functionality in 7.3

From: "Mikael Carneholm" <SA9625(at)ida(dot)utb(dot)hb(dot)se>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Shema functionality in 7.3
Date: 2002-12-02 15:48:20
Lists: pgsql-general

> Like this?
>
> CREATE SCHEMA schema1;
> CREATE SCHEMA schema2;
> CREATE TABLE schema1.table_a(bar int, foo text);
> INSERT INTO schema1.table_a VALUES(1,'a');
> INSERT INTO schema1.table_a VALUES(2,'b');
> CREATE TABLE schema2.table_b(bar int, foo text);
> INSERT INTO schema2.table_b VALUES(1,'c');
> INSERT INTO schema2.table_b VALUES(2,'d');
>
> regression=# SELECT t1.foo, t2.foo FROM schema1.table_a t1,
> schema2.table_b t2 WHERE t1.bar = t2.bar;
> foo | foo
> -----+-----
> a | c
> b | d
> (2 rows)

SUPER! (Thanks to both Joe and Jochem who took the time to
answer)

Now, with both schema and prepared queries (stored procedures)
support there is NOTHING LEFT of the Oracle functionality I used
to miss in 7.2 (except perhaps tablespaces). Shema support is
essential for logical grouping of tables and mapping to applications
which, in extension, enhances reusability a great deal! (userB who
owns schemaB and represents application B can now re-use
schemaA.table1 without having to connect as userA & do the
joining on the client side, provided of course that userB has been
granted read rights on schemaA.table1) When I was working with
Oracle, we had a 1:1 mapping between schema<->user/owner<-
>application - this can now be reproduced in Pg as well!

Kudos to the dev team, you have done a tremendous job!

- Mikael

Mikael Carneholm, M.Sc.
The University College of Boras, Sweden
Email: mikael(dot)carneholm(at)ida(dot)utb(dot)hb(dot)se