Re: Problems running postgres on XFS+LVM on Linux

From: David Stanaway <david(at)netventures(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems running postgres on XFS+LVM on Linux
Date: 2001-07-03 08:41:01
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tuesday, July 3, 2001, at 10:59 AM, David Stanaway wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am in the process of migrating a test system to using SGI's
> linux-2.4-xfs kernel, and have moved
> postgresql's /var/lib/postgres/data onto a seperate lv formated with
> XFS.
>
> Now postmaster fails to start correctly and consumes 100% of one CPU.

Its nice to be able to answer my own questions. :)

The problem was ownership and permisions of /var/lib/postgres/data

When I created the new filesystem and mount point
The permisions of this directory were incorrect:
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Jul 4 04:33 data

When I set it to the correct state:
drwx------ 5 postgres postgres 4096 Jul 4 04:33 data

All was fine :)

No problems experienced yet, and I hope I didn't deter anyone from
trying XFS or LVM on linux.

--
Best Regards
David Stanaway