Re: [GENERAL] aix build question re: duplicate symbol warning

From: "Zeugswetter Andreas DAZ SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Kevin Murphy" <murphy(at)genome(dot)chop(dot)edu>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] aix build question re: duplicate symbol warning
Date: 2005-10-28 16:13:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Hmm. pqStrerror is defined in libpgport (which is linked into the
> > backend) as well as libpq. ISTM that libpq should not be
> linked with
> > -Wl,-bI:../../../src/backend/postgres.imp, since it's not
> intended to
> > be loaded into the backend. Without having looked at the code, I'm
> > wondering if the AIX makefiles stick that option into LDFLAGS_SL
> > rather than someplace more restricted.
>
> It seems that the right place to put this is BE_DLLLIBS,
> which is a macro that probably didn't exist when the AIX
> support was last looked at. But both Windows and Darwin

yes

> ports use it now, so we may as well bring AIX up to speed.
> Would you try the attached patch and see if it gets rid of
> the warnings? Also check that regression tests and contrib
> build/regression tests still work.

works perfectly on AIX 4.3.3 with xlc. All regression tests pass, except
horology
that shows 7 extra -infinity rows. In contrib I tested btree_gist and
dblink
which also pass.

There are a few places left in contrib with duplicate warnings, some
because of
-l pgport and -I:postgres.imp but the main build is now free of those
warnings.

Thank you for the work, please apply.

Andreas