Re: Postgres 8.3 archive_command

From: "Zeugswetter Andreas ADI SD" <Andreas(dot)Zeugswetter(at)s-itsolutions(dot)at>
To: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Rudolf van der Leeden" <vanderleeden(at)logicunited(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres 8.3 archive_command
Date: 2007-11-22 09:02:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > > Perhaps we should move the successful archived message to DEBUG1
now,
> > > except for the first message after the archiver starts or when the
> > > archive_command changes, plus one message every 255 segments?
> > > That would reduce the log volume in the normal case without
endangering
> > > our ability to see what is happening.
> >
> > Wouldn't it be more useful to increase the WAL segment size on such
> > installations
> > that switch WAL files so frequently that it is a problem for the log
?

> > This currently needs a recompile. I wondered for some time now
whether
> > 16 Mb isn't
> > too low for current hw. Maybe it is time for making WAL segment size
> > changeable
> > in the conf with a clean shutdown.
>
> I think its too late in the release cycle to fully consider all the
> implications of that. 16MB is hardcoded in lots of places. The
> performance advantages of that have been mostly removed in 8.3, you
> should note.

Oh sorry, this was definitely not meant for 8.3. And here I didn't mean
the
performance of the db issue, but an issue for archiving the WAL files.
I think most archiving systems are not too happy with extremely frequent
backup calls. Also the overall handling of too many WAL files is imho
not handy.

Andreas