Re: Postgres 8.3 archive_command

From: "Zeugswetter Andreas ADI SD" <Andreas(dot)Zeugswetter(at)s-itsolutions(dot)at>
To: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Rudolf van der Leeden" <vanderleeden(at)logicunited(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres 8.3 archive_command
Date: 2007-11-21 17:16:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Perhaps we should move the successful archived message to DEBUG1 now,
> except for the first message after the archiver starts or when the
> archive_command changes, plus one message every 255 segments?
> That would reduce the log volume in the normal case without
endangering
> our ability to see what is happening.

Wouldn't it be more useful to increase the WAL segment size on such
installations
that switch WAL files so frequently that it is a problem for the log ?

This currently needs a recompile. I wondered for some time now whether
16 Mb isn't
too low for current hw. Maybe it is time for making WAL segment size
changeable
in the conf with a clean shutdown.

Andreas