Re: Potential to_char localization bug

From: "Zeugswetter Andreas ADI SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "Dennis Bjorklund" <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
Cc: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Potential to_char localization bug
Date: 2006-11-28 11:58:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > > case 4:
> > > m = _("May");
> > > break;
> > >

> > > Haven't thought of a fix yet.
> >
> > A common way is to use something of the form
> >
> > m = _("S:May") + 2;

You need to make sure the prefix in the translation is also 2 bytes.
(Not possible with UTF32, so may be better to use _("Abr:May") + 4 ?)

> > and a comment above (that is copied to the .po file)
> explaining that the
> > S: should be in the translated string as well.
>
> OK, I am ready to admit I am lost. What is the problem here?

That you can only translate "May" once, but you need an abbreviated and
a long translation.
(And that you don't want an en.po file, cause that would be the standard
approach
using "_May")

Andreas