Re: [HACKERS] Hints proposal

From: "Zeugswetter Andreas ADI SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>
To: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Hints proposal
Date: 2006-10-13 09:07:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

> I actually think the way to attack this issue is to discuss the kinds
of errors the planner makes, and what tweaks we could do to correct
them.
> Here's the ones I'm aware of:
>
> -- Incorrect selectivity of WHERE clause
> -- Incorrect selectivity of JOIN
> -- Wrong estimate of rows returned from SRF
> -- Incorrect cost estimate for index use
>
> Can you think of any others?

I think your points are too generic, there is no way to get them all
100% correct from statistical
data even with data hints (and it is usually not at all necessary for
good enough plans).
I think we need to more precisely define the problems of our system with
point in time statistics

-- no reaction to degree of other concurrent activity
-- no way to react to abnormal skew that only persists for a very short
duration
-- too late reaction to changing distribution (e.g. current date column
when a new year starts)
and the variant: too late adaption when a table is beeing filled
-- missing cost/selectivity estimates for several parts of the system

Andreas