Re: Win32 hard crash problem

From: "Zeugswetter Andreas DCP SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Win32 hard crash problem
Date: 2006-09-01 08:26:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> >> My bet is something depending on GetTickCount to measure elapsed
time
> >> (and no, it's not used in the core Postgres code, but you've got
> >> plenty of other possible culprits in that stack).
>
> > This doesn't quite make sense. The only reason we have to reboot is
> > because PostgreSQL no longer responds. The system itself is fine.
>
> The Windows kernel may still work, but that doesn't mean that
> everything Postgres depends on still works.

It may be a not reacting listen socket. This may be because of a handle
leak. Next time it blocks look at the handle counts (e.g. with
handle.exe
from sysinternals).

You could also look for handle count now with Task Manager and see if it
increases constantly. (handle.exe shows you the details)

Andreas