Re: opinion on disk speed

From: "J(dot) Andrew Rogers" <jrogers(at)neopolitan(dot)com>
To: Vivek Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: opinion on disk speed
Date: 2005-12-12 22:16:47
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Dec 12, 2005, at 1:59 PM, Vivek Khera wrote:
> From where did you get LSI MegaRAID controller with 512MB? The
> 320-2X doesn't seem to come with more than 128 from the factory.
>
> Can you just swap out the DIMM card for higher capacity?

We've swapped out the DIMMs on MegaRAID controllers. Given the cost
of a standard low-end DIMM these days (which is what the LSI
controllers use last I checked), it is a very cheap upgrade.

Admittedly I've never actually run benchmarks to see if it made a
significant difference in practice, but it certainly seems like it
should in theory and the upgrade cost is below the noise floor for
most database servers.

J. Andrew Rogers