Settings for autovacuum for batch uploading of data?

From: Carlos <Carlos(at)pbsinet(dot)com>
To: "'pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Settings for autovacuum for batch uploading of data?
Date: 2004-05-19 21:09:18
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello Forum,

I would appreciate it if you could recommend settings to use auto-vacuum in
my version 7.4 database. I am uploading several thousands records in the
database at a rate of ~1 second per record (the data is uploading from a
different server). I have noticed that the performance of the uploading is
improved if I vacuum the database every so often so I decided to take
advantage of auto-vacuuming to maintain the best performance. Since I am
uploading several thousands records, I set autovacuum to 50 minutes with -s
3000 in the hope that a great deal of data would be committed before a
regular vacuum would take place and that vacuuming would interfere the least
possible with the uploading.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.