Re: add darwin/osxpb support to cvs

From: Bruce Hartzler <bruceh(at)mail(dot)utexas(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: add darwin/osxpb support to cvs
Date: 2000-10-23 17:08:36
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Monday, October 23, 2000, at 12:43 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Do you actually *need* -O0 on darwin with current sources?
> Or is that a leftover from 7.0.* ? AFAIK -O2 should work on PPC.
>
> regards, tom lane

Yes, that's correct. That can be bumped up to -O2 now and it works fine (and remove the -g flag as well). It does create a very small difference in the geometry floating point tests though. I checked with the other platform results and didn't find any match so I might just have to generate a specific file.

Another problem I discovered happens when you compile --with-perl. It compiles libpq.a ok, runs ranlib on it, installs it into /usr/local/pgsql/lib ok, but then when it tries to build the Perl module and link against it, it generates a "run ranlib on libpq" error. I don't know where exactly it's messing up but simply adding an extra '$(RANLIB) $(DESTDIR)$(libdir)/lib$(NAME).a' right after '$(INSTALL_DATA) $< $(DESTDIR)$(libdir)/lib$(NAME).a' in Makefile.shlib seems to hack/fix the problem. I have to look closer at the Perl build section I guess.

That assembly code in s_lock.c also really needs to be changed to reflect a possible build on a i386 darwin system. There is already a __powerpc__ label in there and Apple is recommending that we only use __ppc__ or __Apple__ now since they plan on phasing the other labels out at some point in the future. How about just using both of these instead? The the DARWIN_OS flag can be dumped and the i386 code can be tagged as __Apple__ and __i386__.

thanks for you help,

bruce

Here's the output from ccsym:

__GNUC__=2