Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit

From: hvjunk <hvjunk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Daniel Vérité <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>, Everaldo Canuto <everaldo(dot)canuto(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit
Date: 2017-12-08 19:08:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 08 Des. 2017, at 20:56 , Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 8:57 AM, Daniel Vérité" <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org> wrote:
>> When looking at the most popular postgres questions on stackoverflow:
>>
>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/postgresql?sort=votes
>>
>> the first one (most up-voted) happens to be:
>>
>> "How to exit from PostgreSQL command line utility: psql"
>>
>> now at 430k views and 1368 upvotes.
>
> Wow, that's pretty crazy. I was going to vote against this proposal,
> but I think I might change my mind. How can we say that this isn't a
> problem for users given that data? It's evidently not only *a*
> problem, but arguably the biggest one.

Sounds like the VI exit issue?
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/11828270/how-to-exit-the-vim-editor <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/11828270/how-to-exit-the-vim-editor>

Having “made that ‘mistake’” once, by lots of users, does that imply it is a constant problem for those users?

Will, having the psql exit the same as msql/etc., make people rather use PostgreSQL than MySQL?

Is it really such a huge barrier to entry for users/sysadmins/developers?
Most users/developers I coming from the MSSQL type world is looking for a GUI to manage their DB, and in that regard MySQL has argue-ably a “better” tool with the name Workbench compared to PGAdmin.