Re: Add notes to pg_combinebackup docs

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Martín Marqués <martin(dot)marques(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add notes to pg_combinebackup docs
Date: 2024-04-18 19:25:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 18 Apr 2024, at 20:11, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> 2. As (1), but make check_control_files() emit a warning message when
> the problem case is detected.

Being in the post-freeze part of the cycle, this seems like the best option.

> 3. As (2), but also add a command-line option to pg_combinebackup to
> flip the checksum flag to false in the control file.

I don't think this is the way to go, such an option will be plastered on to
helpful tutorials which users will copy/paste from even when they don't need
the option at all, only to disable checksums when there was no reason for doing
so.

> We could perhaps consider doing (2) for now and (5) for a future
> release, or something like that.

+1

--
Daniel Gustafsson