Re: GSOC Introduction / Eliminate O(N^2) scaling from rw-conflict tracking in serializable transactions

From: George Papadrosou <gpapadrosou(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Mengxing Liu <liu-mx15(at)mails(dot)tsinghua(dot)edu(dot)cn>, kgrittn <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GSOC Introduction / Eliminate O(N^2) scaling from rw-conflict tracking in serializable transactions
Date: 2017-03-10 17:06:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi all and thank you for your quick replies.

> [two people interested in the same GSoC project]

Mr. Grittner thank you for sharing this ahead of time.

Liu(is this your first name?),

> I have been concentrating on it for a long time, reading papers, reading source codes, and discussing details with Mr Grittner.

I understand your efforts and I am willing to back down. This is not the only project that appeals to me :)

Mr. Frost, Mr. Munro, thank you for your suggestions. I am now between the TOAST’ing slices and the predicate locking project. I am keen on the fact the “toasting” project is related to on-disk data structures so I will probably send you an email about that later today.

In general, I would like to undertake a project interesting enough and important for Postgres. Also, I could take into account if you favor one over another, so please let me know. I understand that these projects should be strictly defined to fit in the GSOC period, however the potential for future improvements or challenges is what drives and motivates me.

Thank you!
George