User accounts on windows

From: "Joel Mariadasan (jomariad)" <jomariad(at)cisco(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: User accounts on windows
Date: 2020-10-22 04:46:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Background:
We have an installer for our application as part of which we are planning to include archive
postgresql-13.0-1-windows-x64-binaries.zip which will be extracted along with the installation of our application.

When the archive is extracted the folder's permission will belong to the current user who is installing our application (who will belong to the administrators group).
This is contradictory to the approach followed by enterprise db installer where a separate user "postgres" will own the folders and the process created.
We want to simply the installation approach as many times we are hitting permission issues while using the separate "postgres" user created.
That's why we want to make the current user own the postgres and services.

Note: This is not about the "postgres" database user account.

Following are the queries with regards to the approach:

1. Will having an administrator user own the postgres installation and data directory cause any side effects?
2. The postgres process also will be owned by an user of administrator group. Will it cause any issues from security perspective?

Regards,
Joel