temp tables for more than one connection

From: "Jan Hartmann" <jhart(at)frw(dot)uva(dot)nl>
To: "Postgresql General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: temp tables for more than one connection
Date: 2002-07-31 09:54:32
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

Is there a way in PostgreSQL to create unique table names? I need them for
multi-frame web-browser requests. Each frame calls a PHP script; the first
frame creates a table based on an (expensive) query, the other frames use
the table in parallel, and when finished, a final frame deletes the table.
Each frame executes with its own database connection, so temporary tables
cannot be used (or can they in some way?). I can generate names at the
client side, but is there a simple way to do so within the database, e.g. by
writing a pl/pgsql of C function?

Thanks in advance,

Jan Hartmann