Re: pg_upgrade version checking questions

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade version checking questions
Date: 2021-03-02 21:51:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2 Mar 2021, at 14:20, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>
> On 23.02.21 17:14, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> This exports validate_exec to reduce duplication, and implements a custom
>> find_other_exec-like function in pg_upgrade to check each binary for the
>> version number. Keeping a local copy of validate_exec is easy to do if it's
>> deemed not worth it to export it.
>
> This looks mostly okay to me.

Thanks for reviewing!

> The commit message says something about "to ensure the health of the target cluster", which doesn't make sense to me. Maybe find a better wording.

Reworded in the attached updated version.

> The name find_exec() seems not very accurate. It doesn't find anything. Maybe "check"?

I'm not wild about check_exec(), but every other name I could think of was
drastically worse so I went with check_exec.

> I'm not sure why the new find_exec() adds EXE. AFAIK, this is only required for stat(), and validate_exec() already does it.

Good point, fixed.

--
Daniel Gustafsson https://vmware.com/

Attachment Content-Type Size
v6-0001-Check-version-of-target-cluster-binaries.patch application/octet-stream 5.9 KB