restore single table

From: "Kevin Duffy" <KD(at)wrinvestments(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: restore single table
Date: 2009-02-23 14:43:31
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello All:

I need guidance on how move some changes that I have made to my
production database.

On my development database I made changes to a table called DEPT. I
added a column, added

a couple of records and did some general data cleanup

What I did not do was change any of the keys on existing records. The
primary key of DEPT is a

foreign key in several other tables.

Here is my question: Can I do a table restore on to the production
database and expect these

changes to be moved over? Will the restore handle, via some magic,
"suspend" the foreign key

constraints and allow the new table structure to be created and then
populated with new data.

I have not changed the keys of existing records so that existing
relationships should be restored.

Thanks for considering my issue.

Kevin Duffy