where-used function

From: "Kevin Duffy" <KD(at)wrinvestments(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: where-used function
Date: 2008-12-29 17:52:15
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hello All:

Hope everyone is enjoying a peaceful holiday season.

I am using this quite time between the holidays to get my dev and
production environment back into sync.

It would be very helpful, if I had a where-used function. This
function, given an object name, would determine

if the object exists in the database ( i.e. is it a table or a view)
and then, most important, what other objects are dependant on the
object.

A database I worked with years ago, distributed by a marketing company
in the NorthWest USA, had such a function.

As I remember that function was buggy.

Does anybody know if a where-used function exists for the wonderful
database known as Postgres?

Many Thanks

Kevin Duffy