Re: Type Categories for User-Defined Types

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Type Categories for User-Defined Types
Date: 2008-07-29 23:53:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Jul 29, 2008, at 16:45, Tom Lane wrote:

>> Nice! Does it also allow all of the casts to and from text to
>> implicitly work, e.g,
>
> No, but we could think about that. Do we really want that to work for
> any member of the string category? It seems a bit overly broad to me

I was thinking about other text-style types, like UUID and UPC, and
was thinking probably not, at least for them. OTOH, some strings
should work that way, like citext or enums, the difference being that,
in most contexts, they can be treated as plain text, since they're
usually thought of that way. Or so it seems to me. Might there be a
way to create that distinction?

Best,

David