Re: log ssl mode with connections?

From: "Henry B(dot) Hotz" <hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: log ssl mode with connections?
Date: 2007-02-22 00:46:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Anyone making those kind of decisions probably wants a generic
"connection is encrypted" flag. It could be true if a GSSAPI
connection has negotiated use of a security layer.

Of course I don't have my GSSAPI patches working as well as the SASL
ones were yet, and I haven't started on adding security layers yet
either.

On Jan 30, 2007, at 12:56 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 12:35:01PM -0500, Kris Jurka wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>
>>> If I am allowing both SSL and non-SSL I might like to know which
>>> is used
>>> by a particular connection.
>>>

>> Other places I've heard people ask for this info:
>>
>> 1) pg_stat_activity to see who's currently connected and how.
>>
>> 2) Via a function (boolean am_i_using_ssl()) so they can make
>> security
>> decisions in views or procedural code.
>
> That information is available to the client in the form of the API
> call
> PQgetssl(). It will return NULL if no SSL is in use, or something
> other
> than NULL if it is (a SSL * pointer, but you don't need to know
> that if
> you just want to know if you're on SSL or not).
> IIRC it was originally disucssed to put it as a function callable, but
> it was decided that it makes a lot more sense to provide it in the
> client library. I don't know how many other client libraries
> provide the
> SSL information stuff.
>
> //Magnus
Henry(dot)B(dot)Hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov, or hbhotz(at)oxy(dot)edu