possible improvement between G4 and G5

From: Qing Zhao <qzhao(at)quotefx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: possible improvement between G4 and G5
Date: 2004-04-06 00:53:49
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi,

We have got a G5 64-bit processor to replace an old G4 32-bit
processor. Given everything
else equal, should we see a big improvement on PG's performance?

The other question I have is that, when I tried different size for
shared_buffer ( i used 10,000,
1,000, 528, 256) and Max connections=32, it gives me error when I tried
to start PG using
pg_ctl start as postgres. It kept saying this is bigger than the system
Shared Memory. So finally
I started PG using SystemStarter start PostgreSQL and it seems starting
OK. Any idea?

Thanks a lot!

Qing Zhao