Re: GUC with units, details

From: Jim Nasby <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: "Bort, Paul" <pbort(at)tmwsystems(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GUC with units, details
Date: 2006-07-27 15:20:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Jul 27, 2006, at 9:16 AM, Bort, Paul wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>
>> I have committed it using the 1024 multiplier, but if you want to
>> propose changing all uses of kB, MB, and GB in PostgreSQL to
>> the other
>> system, now would be the time to do it.
>>

> I think it would be a good idea. I know I don't have time to do it for
> 8.2.
>
> I get the feeling that there isn't enough interest on -hackers that
> anyone else is likely to do this, so I guess it waits until later.

First, when it comes to page values, perhaps we should allow pages/
blocks as a valid unit. That would allow people who want to to
specify things in pages and still be explicit about what they mean.

Second, lack of interest or no, I feel forcing specific casing/SI
units is a flat-out bad idea.

The truth is, virtually no one, even highly technical people, ever
picks nits between kB vs KiB vs KB. People will sometimes use b for
bits and B for bytes, but in the case of postgresql.conf it's very
clear that everything is talking about bytes and not bits.

Forcing people to use a specific casing scheme is just going to lead
to confusion and user frustration. If there's not a very solid
*functional* argument for it, we shouldn't do it. Wanting to enforce
a convention that people rarely use isn't a good reason.