Re: proposal: psql –help reflecting service or URI usage

From: Paul Förster <paul(dot)foerster(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: psql –help reflecting service or URI usage
Date: 2021-03-08 16:40:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Mark,

> On 08. Mar, 2021, at 16:39, Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>
> Fortunately, the man pages and html docs are generated from the same sources. Those sources are written in sgml, and the tools to build the docs must be installed. From the top directory, execute `make docs` and if it complains about missing tools you will need to install them. (The build target is 'docs', but the directory containing the docs is named 'doc'.)

so the help files I'd change would be doc/src/sgml/ref/psql-ref.sgml, doc/src/sgml/ref/pg_isready.sgml, etc.?

> Oh, I'm quite sorry to hear that. The process of getting a patch accepted, especially the first time you submit one, can be discouraging. But the community greatly benefits from new contributors joining the effort, so I'd much rather you not withdraw the idea.

I'd like to, and also I'd like to do all the bin/* tools (including wrapping the long line in pg_isready ;-)), as you suggested, but I don't know the process. In my first admittedly naive attempt, I just downloaded the source from https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/v13.2, unpacked it and made my changes there. Then I did a diff to the original and posted it here. I don't even know if this is the correct workflow. I saw gitgub being mentioned a couple of times but I don't have an account, nor do I even know how it works.

I was pretty surprised to see the lines in PWN:

"Paul Förster sent in a patch to mention database URIs in psql's --help output."
"Paul Förster sent in another revision of a patch to mention URIs and services in psql --help's output."

Is there a FAQ somewhere that describes how properly create patches, submit them and possibly get them released? Something like a step-by-step?

Is github a must-have here?

> If you need help with certain portions of the submission, such as editing the docs, I can help with that.

as you see above, I'm curious to learn, though doing it to all the tools will take some time for me.

Sorry, I'm a noob, not so much to C, but to the workflows here. Hence my questions may seem a little obvious to all the pros.

Cheers,
Paul