Re: Security - local(TRUST) and php/perl access

From: "Dave" <dave(at)hawk-systems(dot)com>
To: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Security - local(TRUST) and php/perl access
Date: 2002-04-19 17:45:15
Lists: pgsql-php

>Anything running on the same machine, whether a shell, PHP, or Perl, is
>covered by the "trust" statement, unless you make the mistake of
>routing your connection through an external interface.

this is what I was afraid of

>However, I strongly reccommend against using "trust" on any public web
>server.

agreed, thus my concern...

it appears however that if everything is set to password (or better) that
postgres doesn't start on reboot. the startup script reads

case $1 in
start)
[ -d /usr/local/pgsql/lib ] && /sbin/ldconfig -m /usr/local/pgsql/lib
[ -x /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl ] && {
su -l pgsql -c \
'exec /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -w start > /usr/local/pgsql/errlog
echo -n ' pgsql'
}
;;

essentially what happens is that the startup waits for the password to be
entered, and as such that and any following services in the local/rc directory
are never started... it times out after a time (if memory serves).

workaround without security ramifications?

Dave