Re: Anybody have an Oracle PL/SQL reference at hand?

From: "Andre Maasikas" <Andre(dot)Maasikas(at)abs(dot)ee>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Anybody have an Oracle PL/SQL reference at hand?
Date: 2004-08-01 09:15:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>
> Hmm. Not only is that a pretty short list, but many of them don't
> correspond very closely to the errors that Postgres would raise.

I think these where like predefined 'shortcuts' for most common
exceptions/errors. You can declare exceptions for any oracle error number
smth. like PRAGMA EXCEPTION_INIT(rollback_too_small, -1555)

>> PL/SQL allows users to define and raise their own exceptions too.
>
>Yeah. Our RAISE statement really needs a lot of work, but I think it
>will have to be left for a future release cycle ...

Sorry, if the following doesn't make sense, I started exploring just a week ago...

From reading the docs I could't determine what would be the exception to
catch in the outer block for e.g. RAISE NOTICE 'caught division_by_zero';
and how to raise the same exeption again, for example
if I determine that the exception still cannot be handled correcly
in WHEN OTHERS section. Does RAISE raise the same exception or
can I specify the type somehow?

Andre