RE: vacuumlo

From: Ian Dauncey <Ian(dot)Dauncey(at)bankzero(dot)co(dot)za>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: vacuumlo
Date: 2021-08-30 15:08:56
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

Hi,

Just an update on my vacuumlo issue.

I did run the vacuumlo against the pg_largeobject table without any issues but afterwards I ran a vacuum full against this table which caused lots of issues.
Because the vacuum full takes an exclusive lock (which was my first mistake as I did not stop the applications accessing the database) on the table I had all the applications hanging. The next issue was it started writing out WAL logs and in the end the file system which housed the Wal logs filled up causing the vacuum to fail.
Now the issue I have here is that the vacuum full created a temporary table , and when it crashed this temporary table did not get deleted. I did rerun the vacuum full against the pg_largeobject table (and yes, I did stop all the applications first). It did complete successfully but it did not drop the previous temporary table. This table is taking close to 100 Gig of disk space.

If I backup and restore the database onto a different server this temporary table does not get restored.
My question here is.

1. How do I get rid of this temporary table without a backup and restore as this is our Prod system?
2. Is there a way of finding out the name of this temp table and matching it up to files on disk?

Any help will be appreciated

Regards
Ian.