Re: Best practice for naming temp table trigger functions

From: Sebastien Flaesch <sebastien(dot)flaesch(at)4js(dot)com>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-sql(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-sql(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Best practice for naming temp table trigger functions
Date: 2022-03-08 17:24:18
Lists: pgsql-sql

Would it make sense (seems possible!) to create the trigger function in the pg_my_temp_schema() schema ?

create function pg_temp_4.TT1_SRL() returns trigger ...

Same question for sequences... (used in my triggers)

Background: All this stuff is to mimic Informix-style SERIALs.

If PostgreSQL native serial would have options to behave like Informix serial, we would not need triggers on our tables.

With Informix serial/bigserial:

* INSERT with zero value specified for serial column generates a new serial value from underlying sequence.
* INSERT with non-zero value specified for serial column sets that value and automatically increments the underlying sequence.

Seb