RE: Shared Memory: How to use SYSV rather than MMAP ?

From: "REIX, Tony" <tony(dot)reix(at)atos(dot)net>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "EMPEREUR-MOT, SYLVIE" <sylvie(dot)empereur-mot(at)atos(dot)net>
Subject: RE: Shared Memory: How to use SYSV rather than MMAP ?
Date: 2018-12-18 15:17:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Thomas,

Here is the patch we are using now on AIX for enabling SysV shm for AIX, which improves greatly the performance on AIX.

It is compile time.

It seems to me that you'd like this to become a shared_memory_type GUC. Correct? However, I do not know how to do.

Even as-is, this patch would greatly improve the performance of PostgreSQL v11.1 in the field on AIX machines. So, we'd like this change to be available for AIX asap.

What are the next steps to get this patch accepted? or What are your suggestions for improving it?

Thanks/Regards

Cordialement,

Tony Reix

tony(dot)reix(at)atos(dot)net

ATOS / Bull SAS
ATOS Expert
IBM Coop Architect & Technical Leader
Office : +33 (0) 4 76 29 72 67
1 rue de Provence - 38432 Échirolles - France
www.atos.net<https://mail.ad.bull.net/owa/redir.aspx?C=PvphmPvCZkGrAgHVnWGsdMcDKgzl_dEIsM6rX0g4u4v8V81YffzBGkWrtQeAXNovd3ttkJL8JIc.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.atos.net%2f>