Extracting GiST index structure stats?

From: Thomas Mercieca <tmercieca(at)msn(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Extracting GiST index structure stats?
Date: 2017-04-15 17:38:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi all, I am interested in getting simple statistics of a GiST index structure. For example, height of tree.

It seems that the other indexes have a metapage for this. I am still unsure but it looks to me like the GiST access method internal does not work exactly in this way so it is a bit more complicated to extract this data. Is this correct? If I wanted to extract this kind of stat (back to the height of tree example) what would be the right approach? Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Thomas