UTF characters compromising data import.

From: Gavin Beau Baumanis <beau(at)palcare(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: UTF characters compromising data import.
Date: 2011-02-08 10:03:01
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to import some data (provided to us from an external source) from a CSV file using "\copy ...."

But I get the following error message;
invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xfd
HINT: This error can also happen if the byte sequence does not match the encoding expected by the server, which is controlled by "client_encoding".

I understand the error message - but what I don't know is what I need to set the encoding to - in order to import / use the data.

As always - thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

Gavin "Beau" Baumanis