pg_resetxlog question

From: Andrew Rawnsley <ronz(at)ravensfield(dot)com>
To: Pgsql General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_resetxlog question
Date: 2005-07-24 10:44:51
Lists: pgsql-general

(v 7.4.8 on linux)

pg_resetxlog question...

I have a idle database (idle = no writes for @12 hours, everything
committed,
full dump in between) that was shut down cleanly, then imaged to another
machine. Forgetting a certain flag in the rsync command, my symlinked
pg_xlog didn't make the trip, and I didn't notice until the originals
were gone.
(Oh, the embarrassment...)

I ran pg_resetxlog, and reindexed the system tables. Everything seems
fine.
Both documentation and chatter on the lists imply that I should be
suspect of the database. Given the particulars mentioned above
(idleness, clean shutdown, etc), would that be true in this case?

Andrew Rawnsley
Chief Technology Officer
Investor Analytics, LLC
(740) 587-0114